Quakertown residents return to homes after gas leak
QUAKERTOWN, Pa. - March 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials say residents are returning to their homes after a gas leak in Quakertown, Pennsylvania early Tuesday morning.
The incident happened around 2:00 a.m. when residents along the 200 block of North Ambler Street noticed a gas odor.
Authorities say gas was leaking through some storm sewer drains on Glenwood Avenue. That prompted an emergency evacuation 52 people.
For those who didn't have family to stay with, a shelter was set up at Quakertown Boro Hall.
Just after 5:00 a.m. crews sealed the gas leak. Action News is told it was a quick fix and after crews double checked the area, people were allowed back in their homes.
Quakertown Fire Department Chief Doug Wilhelm explained that the gas levels were potentially explosive when they responded, and if that call had not been made, they could have a much different scene.
Chief Wilhelm tells Action News, "Basically, residents from the area had fumes in their house. They smelled gas fumes from within their house and outside. They prompted the phone call to UGI, which is the local gas company, who came out and when they investigated they found the two-inch line that was ruptured in the street and then heavy gas fumes and high explosive levels within the houses."
15 homes were evacuated as a precaution but, as soon as the leak was capped, residents were allowed to go back home.
gas leak, quakertown, pennsylvania, local/state
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks 32 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Body found on side of road in Wilmington
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
32 min ago