Girl, 15, remains critical after crash in Hockessin, Delaware
HOCKESSIN, Del. - March 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Four people, including three teens, were hurt when an SUV and a van collided in Hockessin, New Castle County.
Delaware State Police say a green 1997 Ford Explorer collided with a 1993 GMC Vandura at the intersection of Brackenville Road and Lancaster Pike just before 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.
15-year-old Samantha Beck was severely injured and remains in critical condition at Christiana Hospital.
Kevin Palladinetti is Samantha's principal at A.I. duPont High School, where she is a freshman.
"They're not allowing any visitors into the room, just immediate family," he said. "Our understanding is that it's still very much touch-and-go."
Samantha was sitting in the rear passenger seat of the SUV, which took the brunt of the impact.
The driver, 17-year-old Nick Albany, and his 15-year-old brother, Michael, also students at A.I. duPont, were both in the front.
They suffered relatively minor injuries and were treated and released from Christiana Hospital.
Investigators tell us 73-year-old Harvey Moore of Wilmington was driving the van that t-boned the SUV.
As of Tuesday night, they were still not sure who was responsible for the crash.
"There haven't been any charges filed in the accident," said Delaware State Police Corporal John Day. "Troopers at the scene interviewed several witnesses and are still trying to determine precisely what happened and what the light sequence was at the time of the crash."
Samantha Beck's friends were given permission to leave school and go to the hospital, where they were waiting with her family for an update from doctors.
Palladinetti said there is no shortage of people pulling for Samantha. She is described as a stand-out athlete, student, and friend.
"A ton of the support at the hospital with the family and some friends that were able to leave other schools, not just our high school, to show support for all three students and for the families as well," he said.
delaware, accident, teens, local/state
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 43 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
43 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos