Girl, 15, remains critical after crash in Hockessin, Delaware
HOCKESSIN, Del. - March 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Four people, including three teens, were hurt when an SUV and a van collided in Hockessin, New Castle County.
Delaware State Police say a green 1997 Ford Explorer collided with a 1993 GMC Vandura at the intersection of Brackenville Road and Lancaster Pike just before 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.
15-year-old Samantha Beck was severely injured and remains in critical condition at Christiana Hospital.
Kevin Palladinetti is Samantha's principal at A.I. duPont High School, where she is a freshman.
"They're not allowing any visitors into the room, just immediate family," he said. "Our understanding is that it's still very much touch-and-go."
Samantha was sitting in the rear passenger seat of the SUV, which took the brunt of the impact.
The driver, 17-year-old Nick Albany, and his 15-year-old brother, Michael, also students at A.I. duPont, were both in the front.
They suffered relatively minor injuries and were treated and released from Christiana Hospital.
Investigators tell us 73-year-old Harvey Moore of Wilmington was driving the van that t-boned the SUV.
As of Tuesday night, they were still not sure who was responsible for the crash.
"There haven't been any charges filed in the accident," said Delaware State Police Corporal John Day. "Troopers at the scene interviewed several witnesses and are still trying to determine precisely what happened and what the light sequence was at the time of the crash."
Samantha Beck's friends were given permission to leave school and go to the hospital, where they were waiting with her family for an update from doctors.
Palladinetti said there is no shortage of people pulling for Samantha. She is described as a stand-out athlete, student, and friend.
"A ton of the support at the hospital with the family and some friends that were able to leave other schools, not just our high school, to show support for all three students and for the families as well," he said.
delaware, accident, teens, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 57 min ago