Mom, daughter walk in on burglary in Birmingham Twp; 2 arrested
BIRMINGHAM TWP., Pa. - March 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two teenagers have been arrested for a burglary that was thwarted when a mom and daughter came home.
Alexander Granger, 18, of the 1300 block Fieldpoint Drive in Birmingham Twp. and Daniel Walston, 17, of the 200 block of Glenrose Road in Coatesville have been charged with robbery, burglary and related charges.
Walston is being charged as an adult.
Both are being held after failing to post $75,000 cash bail.
Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan said it was shortly before 3:00 p.m. Tuesday when the mother and daughter arrived at their home in the 600 block of General Weedon Drive in Birmingham Township.
When they went inside, investigators say, they encountered Granger and Walston who allegedly pointed guns at them.
One of the women escaped, ran outside, and called 911 as Granger and Walston allegedly fled the home.
Police arrived and searched the area, and eventually found them inside the home of Granger's mother, just 150 yards away.
"When law-abiding citizens walk in on a burglary, it is extraordinarily dangerous. The criminals could resort to violence, as they did here. The citizens could kill the intruders. We were fortunate in this case that the victims escaped unharmed and law enforcement quickly captured these two criminals," Hogan said in a statement.
In the basement, police say they found .357 Magnum revolvers and items stolen from the victims, including a checkbook, electronics and a watch. Police say they also found a trash can, stolen from the burglarized home, whch was used to transport the items.
pennsylvania, chester county, home invasion, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 9 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 2 weeks after waking up in body bag, Miss. man dies 38 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad