Mom, daughter walk in on burglary in Birmingham Twp; 2 arrested
BIRMINGHAM TWP., Pa. - March 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Two teenagers have been arrested for a burglary that was thwarted when a mom and daughter came home.
Alexander Granger, 18, of the 1300 block Fieldpoint Drive in Birmingham Twp. and Daniel Walston, 17, of the 200 block of Glenrose Road in Coatesville have been charged with robbery, burglary and related charges.
Walston is being charged as an adult.
Both are being held after failing to post $75,000 cash bail.
Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan said it was shortly before 3:00 p.m. Tuesday when the mother and daughter arrived at their home in the 600 block of General Weedon Drive in Birmingham Township.
When they went inside, investigators say, they encountered Granger and Walston who allegedly pointed guns at them.
One of the women escaped, ran outside, and called 911 as Granger and Walston allegedly fled the home.
Police arrived and searched the area, and eventually found them inside the home of Granger's mother, just 150 yards away.
"When law-abiding citizens walk in on a burglary, it is extraordinarily dangerous. The criminals could resort to violence, as they did here. The citizens could kill the intruders. We were fortunate in this case that the victims escaped unharmed and law enforcement quickly captured these two criminals," Hogan said in a statement.
In the basement, police say they found .357 Magnum revolvers and items stolen from the victims, including a checkbook, electronics and a watch. Police say they also found a trash can, stolen from the burglarized home, whch was used to transport the items.
pennsylvania, chester county, home invasion, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay 39 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast 55 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa 50 min ago
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 18 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
30 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
18 min ago