Saint Joseph's accidently emails out students' GPAs
PHILADELPHIA - March 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Officials at Saint Joseph's University in Philadelphia are apologizing for accidentally disclosing the grade-point averages of hundreds of students.
Nearly 500 undergraduates received a mass email containing the personal information of other students, including their GPA's.
Saint Joseph's spokeswoman Carolyn Steigleman says the mistake affected about 500 students in the Haub School of Business.
She says the upperclassmen had been sent an email March 6 to gauge their interest in an internship in Italy. A file containing students' names, email addresses and GPAs was inadvertently attached.
"I don't want people to know my GPA especially people I don't know," said Jen Ndini.
"People are upset, and they have a reason to be upset, but it's just a number at the end of the day," said Zack Tanenbaum.
"It was only GPAs above 3.0," said Jordan Carter. "I think that is kind of understandable. It would have been tougher to see a bunch of bad GPAs out there."
The university has emailed all students informing them of what happened, saying they regret the error and asked students to delete the email.
Most students who seem to be understanding of the mistake.
"It shouldn't happen again, but accidents happen," said Ndini.
"They have been sending out emails trying to comfort people," Tanenbaum said.
"All the smart kids got a little bragging rights now, I guess," said Carter.
Officials say they are reevaluating their data collection methods. They say they are also talking with lawyers to see if any student rights were violated.
Saint Joseph's is a private Catholic university serving nearly 9,000 students.
philadelphia, st. joe's, students, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)