NJ deploys "pothole killers" to patch roads
CHERRY HILL, N.J. - March 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's that time of year again: winter's repeated freeze-and-thaw cycle has taken its toll on area roads, creating potholes that can bend rims, blow out tires and work your nerves.
Aware of what's out there, the New Jersey Department of Transportation has deployed six so-called "pothole killer" trucks throughout the state.
"It's a machine one person can operate from inside the cab of the trunk so it's a lot safer than having boots on the road exposed to traffic," said Rich Shaw, Assistant DOT Commissioner.
From the seat, the driver can guide an arm which uses a spray-injection to deliver hot asphalt and gravel, filling the hole with a strong, durable patch.
"We have some done four or five years ago that's still there," said DOT crew supervisor Jeff Guttridge. He added that, in some cases, the road actually breaks up around the patch.
In the 2012 fiscal year, the DOT filled 170,000 potholes. This year they expect to fill about 200,000. That, they say, isn't as bad as years past when they've filled up to 350,000.
Tired of repair bills, drivers say the work can't go quickly enough.
"In my very nice Beamer hit it and had to spend over $300 on a new rim and tire," said Katelyn Story of Maple Shade.
Sharon Troxell of Cherry Hill says she had to have back surgery after hitting a big pothole years ago.
"We didn't see it because it blended with the road and we hit it. There was some undercarriage damage but we were on our way," she said. "Next thing you know I couldn't get out of bed the next day."
To report potholes in New Jersey, visit the Pothole Reporting page on the NJ DOT website.
new jersey, potholes, local/state, nora muchanic
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 34 min ago
- Milder Monday 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 34 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 1 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 6 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 34 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
34 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
1 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
12 min ago
- Milder Monday
4 min ago