Woman, 89, carjacked, locked in trunk by teens for 2 days, police say
LINCOLN, Del. - March 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police have charged 5 teenagers with the carjacking, kidnapping and robbing of a senior citizen and locking her in a car trunk for two days.
89-year-old Margaret Smith of Lincoln, Delaware spoke exclusively to Action News Thursday night and says she is relieved to have survived the wildest ride of her life.
"I'm still shaking," Smith said.
According to police, Smith was at the Chicken Man Convenience Store in Milford, Delaware when she was approached by two girls, later identified as 14-year-old Junia McDonald and 15-year-old Jackeline Perez, who asked for a ride to a home in Lincoln. Smith kindly said yes.
When they arrived, police say the girls stole Smith's keys, forced her into the trunk and drove off. Police say the girls later demanded money from Smith, took $500 in cash from her coat pocket and left her locked in the trunk.
"They opened the door and shoved me in the trunk and locked it," Smith said.
Smith stayed locked in the trunk of her Buick for nearly 48 hours, according to police.
"I banged and banged and banged," Smith said.
And during the reckless car ride that felt more like a rollercoaster, Smith's frail body repeatedly banged against the backseat.
She had no idea where she was headed.
"I heard them say something about Salisbury one time; they were just flying," she said.
"She hadn't eaten, she didn't have her medicine, and they proceeded to drive around with her in there," Smith's niece Doreen Hardell said.
Smith said the two girls threatened to kill her if she told anyone what happened.
After nearly two days, McDonald and Perez allegedly decided to ditch Smith and leave her barefoot and alone in a local cemetery on Calvary Road, east of Seaford.
She kept falling, so she crawled her way across the property, bruising her knees.
A groundskeeper found Smith wandering through the graves Wednesday morning.
She was taken to a local hospital and her family, who had reported her missing, was called.
"When I heard it, I was furious," Hardell said.
But the family was thankful that their elderly aunt was alive and ok and also relieved to hear that police later found the victim's car and arrested the five teens inside.
All are believed to have some involvement in the kidnapping, robbery and theft.
All five were arrested and charged. Action News is naming the four teens who are being charged as adults. The fifth juvenile is being charged as a minor. We are withholding that name.
- Junia McDonald, 14, Milford, DE: Robbery, Carjacking, Kidnapping, Conspiracy. Committed to Stevenson House Detention Center on $122,000 cash bond.
- Jackeline H. Perez, 15, Milford, DE: Robbery, Carjacking, Kidnapping, Conspiracy. Committed to Stevenson House Detention Center on $122,000 cash bond.
- Rondaiges A. Harper, 17, Bridgeville, DE: Kidnapping, Receiving Stolen Property, Conspiracy. Committed to Stevenson House Detention Center on $27,000 secured bond.
- Phillip L. Brewer, 17, Bridgeville, DE: Kidnapping, Receiving Stolen Property, Conspiracy. Committed to Stevenson House Detention Center on $27,000 secured bond.
- Fifth juvenile: Receiving Stolen Property, Conspiracy. Committed to Stevenson House Detention Center on $2,000 secured bond.
"We're a family that believes that justice will be served and justice will prevail," Hardell said.
Margaret Smith celebrated her 89th birthday just last week.
delaware, abduction, robbery, carjacking, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 19 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
48 min ago