Shots fired in Abington Township bank robbery
ABINGTON TWP., Pa. - March 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Montgomery County authorities are investigating an early morning attempted robbery at a TD Bank in Abington Township, Montgomery County.
The incident occurred at the bank branch located in the 2900 block of West Moreland Avenue.
Officials say the first employee arrived at the bank at 6:45 a.m. and followed safety procedures to open up the bank.
As the first employee unlocked the door to allow a second employee to enter, a masked man, armed with a handgun, rushed up from behind and attempted to enter.
"As the second employee was being admitted through the door, one person rushed the door, fired a shot through the door," said Deputy Chief John Livingwood, Abington Township Police.
Investigators say the robber fired one more shot inside the bank and got out through the back door but not before dragging one employee to a back room.
The second employee ran out the back door. Neither person was seriously hurt.
"Extremely brazen, extremely dangerous and something we want to resolve very very quickly," said Chief Livingwood.
Area residents were startled by the news.
"It was sad to come down this way and see it because we haven't had anything in a long time.," said Jim Jones.
"I was shocked. This is not normal, makes you very nervous," said Peggy Gabriel.
"It's unsettling right in your backyard," said Jamie Duffie.
Police are looking for a mid-sized black SUV with chrome wheels and a Pennsylvania license tag starting with 'ERC.'
Authorities believe the suspect got in and left travelling south on Fitzwatertown Road and took an immediate right onto Oklahoma Road.
Police say the robber fled without getting any money.
"You're going to get caught one way or the other. They're going to get whoever did. Why do something like that?" said Gabriel
Police describe the suspect as a black male, dressed all in black with a black, zip front, hooded sweatshirt, with the hood up. He had on a black mask and was armed with a black colored handgun.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Abington Township Police at 267-536-1100 and select #3 or the FBI at 215-418-4000.
montgomery county, pennsylvania, bank robbery, local/state
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 29 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 42 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 57 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
55 min ago