Car careens toward river on MLK Drive
FAIRMOUNT PARK - March 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- The driver of a car escaped disaster overnight when he lost control of his car on Martin Luther King Drive and narrowly missed ending up in the Schuylkill River.
The crash happened around 1:00 a.m. on Martin Luther King Drive, just past Sweet Briar Road in Fairmount Park.
Police tell Action News the vehicle was traveling west on Martin Luther King Drive when the driver lost control and ran off the roadway toward the river.
The vehicle stopped just short of the water on the bank of the Schuylkill River.
A passing motorist stopped and assisted the male driver from his car and to safety.
Arriving police took the male into custody for DUI.
fairmount park, philadelphia, accident, local/state
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet 4 min ago
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool