Washington Twp. crash send wires, transformer onto car
WASHINGTON TWP., N.J. - March 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- A driver became trapped in their vehicle after crashing into a utility pole, bringing down power lines and a transformer onto the top of the car.
The accident happened around 1:15 a.m. Saturday on Bells Lake Road, off of Hurfville-Cross Keys Road, in Washington Township, Gloucester County.
Police say the driver lost control of the car, sending the vehicle into the utility pole. The impact of the crash toppled the pole, the utility wires and the transformer onto the vehicle with the injured driver inside.
Responding firefighters were forced to stand by for 45 minutes until utility crews arrived and shut down the power to the utilities so rescuers could get to the trapped victim.
The driver was eventually removed and taken to a waiting helicopter and flown to Cooper University Hospital in Camden with serious injuries.
So far, there is no word on why the driver lost control of his vehicle.
gloucester county, new jersey, accident, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 38 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Eva Pilgrim on highway storm preparations
56 min ago
- Army, Navy teams compete in Rocky Relay
49 min ago