Washington Twp. crash send wires, transformer onto car
WASHINGTON TWP., N.J. - March 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- A driver became trapped in their vehicle after crashing into a utility pole, bringing down power lines and a transformer onto the top of the car.
The accident happened around 1:15 a.m. Saturday on Bells Lake Road, off of Hurfville-Cross Keys Road, in Washington Township, Gloucester County.
Police say the driver lost control of the car, sending the vehicle into the utility pole. The impact of the crash toppled the pole, the utility wires and the transformer onto the vehicle with the injured driver inside.
Responding firefighters were forced to stand by for 45 minutes until utility crews arrived and shut down the power to the utilities so rescuers could get to the trapped victim.
The driver was eventually removed and taken to a waiting helicopter and flown to Cooper University Hospital in Camden with serious injuries.
So far, there is no word on why the driver lost control of his vehicle.
gloucester county, new jersey, accident, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 45 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 6 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 48 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball