Fake pilot doctored mom's Air France ID, feds say
PHILADELPHIA - March 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- The man alleged to have gotten into the cockpit of a U.S. Airways flight at Philadelphia International Airport had doctored his mother's old Air France ID, investigators said.
Philippe Roger Jeannard, 61, was charged by the United States Attorney's office on Monday. They also released new details about the incident.
According to investigators, Jeannard initially argued with the gate agent when he couldn't get a seat upgrade.
At the time, he was allegedly wearing an Air France shirt and was carrying that Air France ID. While arguing with staffers, authorities say Jeannard was asked if he was an Air France employee, and he allegedly said that he was.
Once he was on the plane, investigators say, a flight attendant noticed his ID card and asked if he wanted to speak to the pilots.
From there, Jeannard allegedly sat down on a jump-seat in the cockpit and told the pilots that he, too, was a pilot.
However, in preparation for takeoff, the gate agent saw Jeannard in the jump-seat and told him he had to go to his assigned seat or go back to the gate to fill out the required paperwork.
From there, investigators say, Jeannard became verbally abusive. A manager from US Airways was called and, at that time, Jeannard allegedly put on a sweater over his Air France shirt.
The manager asked Jeannard if he was an Air France pilot but, this time, Jeannard allegedly said he was not.
Jeannard was then taken into custody by police. There, police said, they learned Jeannard's mother had been an Air France employee, and Jeannard allegedly doctored his mother's ID card to show his name, photograph and his status as an A380 crew member.
Jeannard has been charged by the U.S. Attorney's Office with criminal trespass, tampering with records, false impersonation and false identification to law enforcement authorities.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, philadelphia international airport, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos