Video released of violent Abington bank robbery (PHOTOS)
ABINGTON, Pa. - March 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Abington Township, Montgomery County have released surveillance video of a violent bank robbery.
The robbery occurred at 6:45 a.m. Saturday at the branch in the 2900 block of West Moreland Avenue in the Willow Grove community.
The video shows one employee, who was there to open the bank, unlocking the door to allow a second employee to enter. That's when a masked man, armed with a handgun, rushes up and tries to enter.
Police say that's when the masked man fired a shot. The surveillance video shows the glass door shatter as the employee falls to the ground.
As the worker who was being let in runs into the bank, the masked man then grabs the employee who had unlocked the door by the collar of his shirt and leads him behind the counter.
That's where the video ends, but police say the robber fired one more shot inside the bank and got out through the back door.
Investigators think the robber waited in the woods until a getaway car came to get him. Police believe the driver was waiting at either a nearby townhome complex or elsewhere up the street.
Police are looking for a mid-sized black SUV with chrome wheels and a Pennsylvania license tag starting with 'ERC.'
Neither worker was injured.
While bank robberies aren't uncommon, investigators say this case is different than most.
"This was an extremely dangerous and brazen criminal. This was a well thought out and planned out event," said Deputy Chief John Livingood of the Abington Township Police Dept.
"The fact that he fired shots and threatened employees really takes this to a new level, and this is someone that we're absolutely convinced we need to get off the street," Livingood said.
News of the robbery wasn't keeping customers away from the bank on Wednesday.
"Actually I came here because I felt more safe because it was robbed," said Irv Beilin of Fort Washington.
Most are hopeful police catch the robber, and hopeful this doesn't happen again.
"I know all the tellers in there anyway. You don't want to see anyone get scared like that," said Mike Coady of Willow Grove.
Police describe the suspect as a black male, dressed all in black with a black, zip front, hooded sweatshirt, with the hood up. He had on a black mask and was armed with a black colored handgun.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Abington Township Police at 267-536-1100 and select #3 or the FBI at 215-418-4000.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, bank robbery, local/state
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Winter Warm Up 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 9 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast 48 min ago
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville 43 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia 50 min ago
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 10 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier
- Winter Warm Up
15 min ago
- Schools, daycares introduce yoga for kids
24 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
48 min ago
- Higher blood pressure threshold OK in older...
42 min ago