NJ police officer sentenced for violent Doylestown standoff
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - March 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Clifton, New Jersey police officer who caused a 10 hour standoff with police in Bucks County has learned his sentence.
42-year-old Richard Klementovich will spend between 8 ½ and 20 years in prison. He entered a "no contest" plea just weeks before his trial was set to begin.
Police say Klementovich was off duty when he showed up at his estranged wife's Doylestown residence on Father's Day last year with an arsenal, including high powered rifles and assault weapons.
Klementovich allegedly called the police himself, saying there was a civil dispute. When the officer arrived there was an envelope in the driveway addressed to Doylestown police.
"[The] officer read the note, flipped it over, and it basically stated to the effect that [Klementovich] had 2,000 rounds of ammunition in the home and he is a police officer," said Acting Chief Dean Logan.
The officer left the driveway and went back to his police car. That's when the shooting started.
Police say over the course of hours Klementovich kept firing, 118 shots in all, hitting his target every time.
Two squad cars were riddled with bullets and an armored personnel vehicle was also struck, police said. According to police radio transmissions, the gunman shot out the tires on the armored truck and its vehicle camera.
Doylestown Officer William Doucette was injured by flying concrete when a bullet struck the sidewalk. He was not seriously hurt.
His attorney said he did not intend to hurt anyone but himself during the ordeal.
doylestown, bucks county, pennsylvania, new jersey, standoff, shooting, police, local/state
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash 24 min ago
- Wintry Weekend 11 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub 26 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 5 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Wintry Weekend
11 min ago