NJ police officer sentenced for violent Doylestown standoff
DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - March 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Clifton, New Jersey police officer who caused a 10 hour standoff with police in Bucks County has learned his sentence.
42-year-old Richard Klementovich will spend between 8 ½ and 20 years in prison. He entered a "no contest" plea just weeks before his trial was set to begin.
Police say Klementovich was off duty when he showed up at his estranged wife's Doylestown residence on Father's Day last year with an arsenal, including high powered rifles and assault weapons.
Klementovich allegedly called the police himself, saying there was a civil dispute. When the officer arrived there was an envelope in the driveway addressed to Doylestown police.
"[The] officer read the note, flipped it over, and it basically stated to the effect that [Klementovich] had 2,000 rounds of ammunition in the home and he is a police officer," said Acting Chief Dean Logan.
The officer left the driveway and went back to his police car. That's when the shooting started.
Police say over the course of hours Klementovich kept firing, 118 shots in all, hitting his target every time.
Two squad cars were riddled with bullets and an armored personnel vehicle was also struck, police said. According to police radio transmissions, the gunman shot out the tires on the armored truck and its vehicle camera.
Doylestown Officer William Doucette was injured by flying concrete when a bullet struck the sidewalk. He was not seriously hurt.
His attorney said he did not intend to hurt anyone but himself during the ordeal.
doylestown, bucks county, pennsylvania, new jersey, standoff, shooting, police, local/state
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 37 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 47 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- 'GMA' promotes Lara Spencer to co-host 1 min ago
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
2 min ago