Forest firefighter struck, killed in Clinton Twp. ID'd
CLINTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. - March 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have identified a firefighter with the New Jersey Forest Fire Service who was struck and killed during a controlled burn in Hunterdon County.
Jeffrey Scheuerer was working along Route 629 in Clinton Township Thursday.
Authorities say the 35-year-old Raritan Township resident was also a member of the Readington Volunteer Fire Company.
The county prosecutor's office says the preliminary investigation indicates heavy smoke associated with the controlled burn may have reduced visibility when the wind shifted and contributed to the accident.
The name of the driver who hit him has not been released.
The investigation is ongoing.
new jersey, hunterdon county, pedestrian struck, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish