Good Samaritan saves man who fell onto SEPTA tracks
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - March 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man is being called a hero for helping another man who fell onto some SEPTA subway tracks.
In SEPTA surveillance video, the victim can be seen walking right off the platform at the Cecil B Moore subway station.
He's sprawled across the tracks, just inches from the third rail which if touched will electrocute a person.
Still, witness Chris Knafelc jumps down four feet to help.
"I just wanted to stabilize his neck because he kept trying to move," Knafelc said.
Knafelc stayed with the victim, but he knew time was critical.
The subway runs every 7 minutes.
So he shouted to nearby passengers to tell SEPTA personnel to shut down the southbound lines.
"I had a plan if a train came I was going to roll him underneath or if I couldn't I was going to ask someone to jump down and help me roll him," Knafelc said.
"There are bad scenarios that could have happened here and didn't happen because a person that was unknown to our victim jumped into the track and saved his life," SEPTA Police Chief Thomas Nestel said.
Firefighters arrived and moved the victim off the track.
He was taken to Temple University Hospital where he's in stable condition.
Knafelc is being hailed for the compassion he displayed but the 32-year-old says it's simply how he was raised.
"There have been people there for me when I needed somebody and these people I can't pay back, so the next best thing would be to pay it forward," Knafelc said.
philadelphia, north philadelphia, SEPTA, local/state, chad pradelli
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media 40 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 19 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013 45 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
40 min ago