New clues about missing student from Bryn Mawr (PHOTOS)
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - March 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- A newly released surveillance video shows a man matching the description of a missing Brown University student from Bryn Mawr, walking on a Providence, Rhode Island street shortly after he disappeared.
Sunil Tripathi, 22, went missing March 16. The video shows a man walking south on Brook Street near Sunil's apartment on March 16 at about 1:30 a.m., about 20 minutes after his last-recorded computer activity.
The man on the video is tall and skinny and is wearing a black cap, dark jacket and jeans, matching Sunil's description.
Sunil's family has asked area businesses to turn over their surveillance footage in their efforts to find him.
"It's nothing definitive, unfortunately, but it does provide us a better timeline and direction that he possibly could have gone," said Sunil's brother, Ravi.
Sunil graduated from Radnor High School. A philosophy major, he had taken a year off to figure out his future. His family says he suffered from depression but seemed fine. A short, cryptic note left in his room didn't provide investigators with any direction.
"He's in contact with multiple family members probably every day so this is incredibly unusual and out of the ordinary. It's not something that we even would have expected. It has taken us all by surprise," said Ravi.
Sunil's family has traveled to Providence to help police and the FBI with the expanding investigation. Social media is generating widespread attention to the case. Reports are coming in from up and down the east coast from people claiming they've seen Sunil but, so far, his disappearance remains a mystery.
Ravi said the family is keeping up hope that Sunil will be found safe and sound.
"It feels like a little bit of progress and a little bit of hope for us," Ravi said.
The Bryn Mawr, Pa., native was on leave from the Ivy League school but living in an apartment near campus with several other Brown students.
Anyone with information on Sunil Tripathi's whereabouts is asked to call Providence Police at (401) 243-6191.
pennsylvania, rhode island, missing person, local/state
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 12 min ago
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ