Reading police probe massive student melee
READING, Pa. - March 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Reading are investigating and sorting through surveillance video of a melee that involved as many as 100 teenagers armed with boards, bats, table legs, hammers and other weapons.
Sgt. John Solecki says detectives are looking at video from surveillance cameras and bystanders who posted footage of Wednesday's brawl on Facebook.
The Reading Eagle reports the teens were fighting at basketball courts in a park when police responded around 4 p.m. Wednesday.
At least one person, a 17-year-old boy, was taken to the hospital and was later released.
Investigators say the large fight involved 75 to 100 teenagers and they scattered when police arrived, but the violence resumed minutes later.
Solecki says police are trying to identify everyone involved, especially those holding weapons. It wasn't clear what started the brawl.
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
reading, berks county, pennsylvania, school, fight, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 51 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 38 min ago