Reading police probe massive student melee
READING, Pa. - March 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Reading are investigating and sorting through surveillance video of a melee that involved as many as 100 teenagers armed with boards, bats, table legs, hammers and other weapons.
Sgt. John Solecki says detectives are looking at video from surveillance cameras and bystanders who posted footage of Wednesday's brawl on Facebook.
The Reading Eagle reports the teens were fighting at basketball courts in a park when police responded around 4 p.m. Wednesday.
At least one person, a 17-year-old boy, was taken to the hospital and was later released.
Investigators say the large fight involved 75 to 100 teenagers and they scattered when police arrived, but the violence resumed minutes later.
Solecki says police are trying to identify everyone involved, especially those holding weapons. It wasn't clear what started the brawl.
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
reading, berks county, pennsylvania, school, fight, local/state
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 7 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 56 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 55 min ago
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 51 min ago
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno 41 min ago
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 43 min ago
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
7 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
56 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn...
55 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos