Reading police probe massive student melee
READING, Pa. - March 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in Reading are investigating and sorting through surveillance video of a melee that involved as many as 100 teenagers armed with boards, bats, table legs, hammers and other weapons.
Sgt. John Solecki says detectives are looking at video from surveillance cameras and bystanders who posted footage of Wednesday's brawl on Facebook.
The Reading Eagle reports the teens were fighting at basketball courts in a park when police responded around 4 p.m. Wednesday.
At least one person, a 17-year-old boy, was taken to the hospital and was later released.
Investigators say the large fight involved 75 to 100 teenagers and they scattered when police arrived, but the violence resumed minutes later.
Solecki says police are trying to identify everyone involved, especially those holding weapons. It wasn't clear what started the brawl.
Information from: Reading Eagle, http://www.readingeagle.com/
reading, berks county, pennsylvania, school, fight, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot while sleeping in South Philadelphia 12 min ago
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos