Social media could be key in Lower Township sex assault
LOWER TOWNSHIP, N.J. - March 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities are examining cellphones and social media postings in the investigation of the alleged sexual assault of a girl at a teen party in the woods in southern New Jersey.
Cape May County prosecutors say seven juveniles and one adult have been charged. They say a juvenile victim was sexual assaulted and "physically abused" March 15 near a Lower Township neighborhood.
The Press of Atlantic City reports one juvenile is charged with sexual assault. Charges against the others include aggravated assault, endangering an injured victim and alcohol consumption.
Detectives tell the newspaper social media may help them make their case.
Eighteen-year-old Brittany Hearon is charged with child endangerment but denies wrongdoing. She tells The Press she saw a naked girl passed out on the ground when she arrived at a party of drunken teens and sought help.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City (N.J.)
new jersey, cape may county, sex assault, local/state
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges 38 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in action 37 min ago
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees 14 min ago
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in...
37 min ago