Attempted burglary at home of Delaware County deputy sheriff
DARBY TWP., Pa. - March 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A intruder picked the wrong home to burglarize when he broke into the home of a Delaware County deputy sheriff. The victim told his story to Action News.
Darby Township resident John McGee says while he was asleep, a thief ransacked his car, broke into his Ashland Avenue home and ate his food.
"I just heard a noise, I heard a noise and I didn't think nothing of it," said McGee.
McGee finally figured out that the bump in the night was an intruder who had no idea he was in the home of a Delaware County Sheriff's deputy.
"It sounds funny the training I had from the sheriff and police academy just kicked in," said McGee.
With his gun out, Deputy McGee went to work clearing one room after another.
"I could see that he was in here and I said 'Lay on the ground,'' said McGee.
It was dark but if the intruder had taken a closer look around the room, he would have noticed several sheriff uniforms and even a bulletproof vest.
"He started telling me, 'I'm in the wrong house.' I said 'I know you're in the wrong house, you're in a deputy sheriff's house. Get on the floor now!" said McGee.
Darby Township Police responded quickly and found the deputy's car keys and a knife on the suspected thief.
The whole ordeal caused quite a scare for neighbors.
"I went through all my nooks and crannies in my house and started locking everything up," said Francis Severson.
McGee says his training kept him from pulling the trigger.
"If it has to happen thank God it happened to somebody who could handle a situation like that but then again who can handle a situation like that until it happens to you," said McGee.
Meanwhile police have not yet released the name of the suspect.
pennsylvania, delaware county, burglary, local/state, kenneth moton
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal 32 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 51 min ago
- No cheer uniforms for North Philadelphia Aztec squad 39 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico 54 min ago
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting 48 min ago
- 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting
48 min ago
- Firefighters battle Hunting Park blaze
43 min ago
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
51 min ago