South Philadelphia homeowner shoots and kills intruder
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - March 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police say two men went through a lot of work to break into a home at 6th and Wilder streets in South Philadelphia.
Authorities say the suspects scaled a wall and got in through a second floor bathroom window.
However, what they didn't count on was the 63-year-old homeowner, who lives on the second floor with his family, to actually fight back.
"I heard the three shots, I was sitting in my room watching TV," said neighbor Brian Corona.
Nearby residents heard those gunshots around 1:00 Sunday morning.
Police say that is when the armed homeowner confronted two burglars, got into a scuffle with the men, and fired shots at them.
One intruder escaped but officers found the second man dead on the roof from a gunshot wound.
"In a situation like that you got to do what you got to do. I guess people are looking out for easy money, it's unsafe no matter where you go," said Chan Chenh.
Police haven't released names but Action News has learned the homeowner is Lee Heng, who also owns the jewelry store on the first floor. It's believed that's why the man, who neighbors say is Cambodian American, was targeted.
Chenh's mother lives on the same street in the largely Asian American section of South Philadelphia.
He says even though it appears the thieves were after the jeweler's cash and valuables, he's still worried about his mother's safety.
"Now I have to keep on calling her, making sure she's okay, making sure she doesn't come out, it kind of limits her from going outside," said Chenh.
Investigators haven't released a good description of the second intruder who got away. He remains on the loose.
The shooting is still under investigation but at this point it does not look like the homeowner will face any charges.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, home invasion, shooting, homicide, local/state
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting 3 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 45 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 9 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Sunny, blustery winds today
57 min ago
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
45 min ago
- Police search for gunman in bar shooting
3 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos