Easter Sunday services held across the region
March 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Easter Sunday celebrates the cornerstone of the Christian faith - the belief that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for humanity's failings and was raised from the dead.
The holiest day of the Christian calendar was celebrated across the tri-state area.
Not long after the sun peaked over the horizon Sunday morning, the faithful gathered in the Music Pier in Ocean City.
An hour later beneath the still leaf less trees of Rittenhouse Square, the people of Philadelphia's Tenth Presbyterian hosted another sunrise service.
Across the region Christians who follow the western calendar celebrated Easter, outside and inside.
In traditional churches and in one case an enormous basketball arena.
The largest single gathering was Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church's service at the Liacouras Center.
In its 10th year this mass effort was first conceived to get all its members under one roof at one time but now it's a little different.
"We want the spectacle of the crowd to remind people how important this day is," said Dr. Alyn Waller, pastor.
Easter is the foundation of the Christian belief system. The faithful believe Jesus Christ, who was crucified, was resurrected from the dead, giving them the hope of an everlasting life.
"The main message of Easter is that of hope. Hope that through death, the God of life promises new life through the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ," said Pastor Wayne Zschech, Luther Church of Our Savior.
William Foreman says he believes Christian teachings can help his young daughter navigate life in the 21st Century.
"Show her the ways, and to use the religion as a part of a way we need to grow up, so that way she doesn't get caught up there out on the streets," said Foreman.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, new jersey, easter, local/state, john rawlins
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 32 min ago
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos