Sketch released of suspect in carjacking of 80-year-old
BROOKLAWN, N.J. - April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have released a sketch of the suspect wanted in connection with an attack and carjacking on an 80-year-old woman in Camden County on Easter morning.
The Brooklawn Police Department says anyone who could provide information on the suspect seen in this sketch, should contact Investigator Anthony Hirst at (856)456-0750 ext 169 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Action News spoke with the victim, 80-year-old Catherine Hodge of Bellmar, on Sunday.
She suffered a swollen foot, scuffed knee, and a black and blue finger.
"He had a cigarette in his mouth, he came right up to the car," said Hodge.
Hodge says she was sitting in her car parked at the Metro Diner on Route 130 in Brooklawn.
She had just finished up Easter breakfast with her family and was about to head home when she was forcefully assaulted.
"The next thing I know he shoved me out of my car, my shoe flew off and I said 'Leave me alone, leave me alone,' and he took right off with my car," said Hodge.
Police believe the carjacking suspect is a man in his 20s who was caught on surveillance video walking through Rite Aid, next door, minutes before the attack.
Brooklawn officials think the tall white man with a lip-piercing had shoplifted from the convenience store twice within 24 hours.
When he made a third trip into the store around 10:00 Sunday morning, he realized he had been caught on camera and made a run for it.
"I'll never forget this Easter, never," said Hodge.
Hodge is hobbling around and feeling sore but she's thankful that she wasn't more seriously injured.
"He could've had a gun, a knife. I don't know what the world is coming to," she said.
Hodge considers herself one tough lady.
"Yeah, I'm tough. They're not going to take me yet," she said with a laugh.
Meanwhile, police have recovered Hodge's car but the suspect remains on the loose.
new jersey, camden county, carjacking, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 43 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 40 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 44 min ago
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 42 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 38 min ago
- Pennsylvania Turnpike pileup exposed gaps, officials say 7 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures