Apparent murder-suicide at Spring Garden apartment complex
SPRING GARDEN - April 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police say a husband shot his wife before turning the gun on himself inside a high-rise apartment complex in the city's Spring Garden section.
Residents are shocked, and say it never appeared the two had any issues. However, Action News has learned the couple was in the process of separating.
Police were called around 8:20 Sunday night to the eighth floor of the Museum Towers Apartments, located on the 1800 block of Buttonwood Street.
Inside a front bedroom police found the bodies of 29-year-old Rio Acosta Magden and 30-year-old Carlos Eugene Acosta.
Police say it appears Carlos killed Rio then turned the gun on himself.
Rio worked at Hahnemann University Hospital. It was her co-workers called police after Rio didn't show up for work for two days.
Officers found both Rio and Carlos in their bed, dead from gunshot wounds. Police say Carlos was still holding the gun.
Investigators say a note was nearby in which Carlos professed his love for his wife.
It is still unclear when the murder-suicide happened.
The multi-story building, which has hundreds of residents, is known to be a quiet place in a good community.
"It seems like something you read in a book. It doesn't seem like something that happens down the hall," said resident Rob Saxon.
Some of Rio's friends talked to Action News, saying she was very private and often her husband would walk her to Hahnemann Hospital. They said her husband was "not very social."
Hahnemann University Hospital released a statement Monday morning saying they are "shocked and saddened" by the loss of one of their nurses. They call Rio a "valued member of their nursing staff, and a true leader in her department."
philadelphia, spring garden, homicide, suicide, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 51 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids