Philly officer speaks on being dragged 3 blocks in Kensington
KENSINGTON - April 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia Police Officer Bryan Turner, a two year veteran of the force, says he is lucky to be alive after his near death experience Easter night in Kensington.
"The guy was obviously out of his mind to do what he did for no reason," Officer Turner said.
Turner was dragged three blocks on the hood of a car. It began during a traffic stop in the 3100 block of G Street
The 24th District officer heard a woman screaming from inside a car.
When he tried to get the woman to step out, the driver accelerated, dragging the officer along the pavement for three blocks with Turner clutching the hood of the car.
"I was asking him, could he cut the car off. And before I could finish, he just floored it and struck me with the car. I rolled up on top of the hood of the car and I was able to grab the car's hood with my left hand to keep from going under it," Turner said.
The officer eventually managed a radio call for help.
As he clutched the hood with the driver swaying, trying to peel him off, Turner realized his life was on the line.
"I realized that this guy was going to kill me if I didn't do something to get off of the car. I pull out my gun. First to try to scare him to pull the car over and then I realized I was going to have to use deadly force to stop the car," Turner said.
Eventually, Officer Turner jumped to safety.
Civilian witnesses trailing this spectacle let him in their car and a chase ensued until responding cops pulled the suspect over.
20-year-old Naim Woodley was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and resisting arrest. Police say he was behind the wheel, and identified him as the common law husband of the screaming female passenger.
Officer Turner tells Action News he plans to return to work on Sunday.
This was not Officer Turner's first brush with death. He is an Army veteran who saw extensive combat duty in Iraq.
philadelphia, kensington, police, philadelphia police, local/state
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia 48 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 27 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 35 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 38 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
31 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
28 min ago