Woman, man escape burning home in Marple Twp., Pa.
MARPLE TWP., Pa. - Apri 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Fire officials say working smoke detectors likely saved the lives of two people in Marple Township, Pa.
Investigators say the fire broke out shortly after 3:00 a.m. Monday in the kitchen of a home in the unit block of Oak Circle.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the home. It took them about 20 minutes to get the upper hand.
Broomall Fire Company Chief Carl Drake told Action News that smoke detectors awakened a man and woman sleeping on the second floor, and that both made it out of the house safely.
Drake called the case a good example of how working smoke detectors in a home can save lives.
fire, delaware county, marple township, pennsylvania, local/state
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 32 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 40 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash 11 min ago
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
11 min ago