South Philly violence leaves residents on edge
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - April 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- Residents in South Philadelphia are very much on edge after a recent outbreak of violence.
The latest incident happened early Monday evening at the intersection of 8th and McKean streets.
A large police presence responded after reports of a number of gunshots being fired.
"You could hear everybody saying, 'Get inside, get inside.' So, definitely makes it feel not safe to be in the neighborhood, especially when something like that happens in broad daylight," neighbor Jenna Abrams said.
It was just last Friday night a couple blocks away at 10th and Mifflin that police responded to reports of a fight on the street.
Police arrived to find a 23-year-old man stabbing a 50-year-old father and his 24-year-old son with an 8-inch folding knife.
Police ordered him to drop the knife and investigators say he refused.
"The suspect continued to stab at both the father and son. One officer discharged his weapon, striking the suspect. The suspect then dropped his knife and collapsed," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
Meanwhile, about an hour later at 7th and McKean, officers were on patrol when they heard several gunshots ring out.
"They found two victims on the highway suffering from gunshot wounds," Small said.
The victim, identified as 23-year-old Derrick Robinson of the 2000 block of South Bucknell, later died.
A 22-year-old female was also shot several times and was taken to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in critical condition.
The rash of violence here has residents very concerned.
"It puts one in danger, especially with children; a stray bullet could hit someone or hit someone inside their home, so we need more police presence," neighbor Norma Morales said through a translator.
"It's a nuisance, you see like mothers and children scurrying for their cars right into their houses. It feels unsafe in the neighborhood," neighbor Enrique Gasparini said.
Police say it's unclear if anyone was shot in today's gunfire incident.
They were interviewing witnesses late into the night.
So far, there have been no arrests.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, shooting, stabbing, local/state, dann cuellar
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 33 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
24 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
33 min ago