Trial opens for Phoenixville woman charged with murder
WEST CHESTER, Pa. (AP) -April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman is on trial in the shooting death of a Guatemalan immigrant who authorities said was killed for his backpack in suburban Philadelphia.
Nineteen-year-old Monique Robinson of Phoenixville is charged in Chester County with murder, robbery and criminal conspiracy in the September 2011 death of 23-year-old Selvin Lopez-Maurico.
The Daily Local News of West Chester says prosecutors accuse her of asking two men to "go out on a mission" to rob someone for money to buy drugs, and they shot the victim outside a Phoenixville home over his backpack.
The two men pleaded guilty earlier to third-degree murder and were sentenced to decades in prison.
Defense attorney Robert Donatoni attacked their credibility and said they were trying to blame the crime on his client.
trial, homicide, robbery, pennsylvania, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 8 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...