Trial opens for Phoenixville woman charged with murder
WEST CHESTER, Pa. (AP) -April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman is on trial in the shooting death of a Guatemalan immigrant who authorities said was killed for his backpack in suburban Philadelphia.
Nineteen-year-old Monique Robinson of Phoenixville is charged in Chester County with murder, robbery and criminal conspiracy in the September 2011 death of 23-year-old Selvin Lopez-Maurico.
The Daily Local News of West Chester says prosecutors accuse her of asking two men to "go out on a mission" to rob someone for money to buy drugs, and they shot the victim outside a Phoenixville home over his backpack.
The two men pleaded guilty earlier to third-degree murder and were sentenced to decades in prison.
Defense attorney Robert Donatoni attacked their credibility and said they were trying to blame the crime on his client.
trial, homicide, robbery, pennsylvania, local/state
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 21 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 3 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
21 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
3 min ago