Trial opens for Phoenixville woman charged with murder
WEST CHESTER, Pa. (AP) -April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman is on trial in the shooting death of a Guatemalan immigrant who authorities said was killed for his backpack in suburban Philadelphia.
Nineteen-year-old Monique Robinson of Phoenixville is charged in Chester County with murder, robbery and criminal conspiracy in the September 2011 death of 23-year-old Selvin Lopez-Maurico.
The Daily Local News of West Chester says prosecutors accuse her of asking two men to "go out on a mission" to rob someone for money to buy drugs, and they shot the victim outside a Phoenixville home over his backpack.
The two men pleaded guilty earlier to third-degree murder and were sentenced to decades in prison.
Defense attorney Robert Donatoni attacked their credibility and said they were trying to blame the crime on his client.
trial, homicide, robbery, pennsylvania, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 20 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 51 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water 13 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 11 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 37 min ago
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak 44 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 52 min ago
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
20 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA...
51 min ago
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated...
13 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
14 min ago