Trial opens for Phoenixville woman charged with murder
WEST CHESTER, Pa. (AP) -April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman is on trial in the shooting death of a Guatemalan immigrant who authorities said was killed for his backpack in suburban Philadelphia.
Nineteen-year-old Monique Robinson of Phoenixville is charged in Chester County with murder, robbery and criminal conspiracy in the September 2011 death of 23-year-old Selvin Lopez-Maurico.
The Daily Local News of West Chester says prosecutors accuse her of asking two men to "go out on a mission" to rob someone for money to buy drugs, and they shot the victim outside a Phoenixville home over his backpack.
The two men pleaded guilty earlier to third-degree murder and were sentenced to decades in prison.
Defense attorney Robert Donatoni attacked their credibility and said they were trying to blame the crime on his client.
trial, homicide, robbery, pennsylvania, local/state
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road 48 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 29 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 38 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft 31 min ago
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Charges filed in alleged chop shop raid in N. Phila. 32 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
48 min ago
- Police question suspect in Christmas...
31 min ago