Suspect in 1990 Galloway Township murder confesses in court
GALLOWAY TWP., N.J. - April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man has been arrested for allegedly killing a 15-year-old in Galloway Township, New Jersey back in 1990.
Steven Goff, 41, confessed to the 23-year-old murder case yesterday and appeared eager to come clean in court today.
"I'm prepared to enter a plea, a guilty plea, right now," Goff told Judge Michael Donio at his hearing Tuesday afternoon.
Goff told the judge he didn't plan to hire a lawyer and would only accept help from a public defender if it would help expedite things.
"I did the crime. I'm prepared to do whatever I got to do," Goff said.
Goff walked into the Galloway Township police station at 5:00 a.m. Monday and said he wanted to confess.
He is now charged with stabbing to death 15-year-old Frederick Hart back on May 7, 1990.
Hart was reported missing the next day, but his remains weren't found until December, 1991 by a hunter in a wooded area behind a Galloway Township condominium complex.
The case had gone cold ever since and may never have been solved if Goff hadn't come forward.
In an online profile, Goff describes himself as an investment advisor.
He also talks about his past and says at the age of 18 he went to jail for five years for dealing drugs.
He was 18 when Hart was killed.
He reacted emotionally in court when the judge described the manner of death.
"Specifically by stabbing him multiple times causing his death," Judge Donio said.
Goff had apparently been living alone in an apartment in Ventnor when he turned himself in.
Police say Hart's mother and his brother have been notified of Goff's claim, but they were not in court today.
Goff's older sister, Linda Goff, who's a well known Atlantic County divorce attorney, says he was most likely living with their parents in Galloway Township at the time of the killing.
She says she does not know why her brother decided to turn himself in now.
"That seems to be the 64 million dollar question today. I don't know," Linda Goff said.
She wouldn't go into detail but says her brother has been estranged from their family for two decades.
Goff is now being held on $1,000,000 bail pending a grand jury indictment.
new jersey, atlantic county, homicide, cold case, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student death 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 22 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 52 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 17 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos