Prison guard charged with stealing from inmate in Delaware County
MEDIA, Pa. - April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County prison guard has been charged with stealing money from an inmate.
Michael Siler, 45, of Long Lane in Upper Darby, is charged with theft and related offenses.
Prosecutors say Siler, a corrections officer at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility in Thornton, Pa., confiscated $72 in cash from a prisoner when the prisoner was being admitted to the facility in October 2012.
They say Siler gave the prisoner a receipt for the money but never deposited the cash in the prisoner's account, as required.
Investigators say the prisoner showed them the receipt with Siler's signature on it.
Siler has denied taking the money.
He was arraigned before Judge Richard Cappelli on March 26th. Bail was set at $50,000.
A preliminary hearing is set for Thursday.
pennsylvania, theft, delaware county, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911 29 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
59 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos