Prison guard charged with stealing from inmate in Delaware County
MEDIA, Pa. - April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Delaware County prison guard has been charged with stealing money from an inmate.
Michael Siler, 45, of Long Lane in Upper Darby, is charged with theft and related offenses.
Prosecutors say Siler, a corrections officer at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility in Thornton, Pa., confiscated $72 in cash from a prisoner when the prisoner was being admitted to the facility in October 2012.
They say Siler gave the prisoner a receipt for the money but never deposited the cash in the prisoner's account, as required.
Investigators say the prisoner showed them the receipt with Siler's signature on it.
Siler has denied taking the money.
He was arraigned before Judge Richard Cappelli on March 26th. Bail was set at $50,000.
A preliminary hearing is set for Thursday.
pennsylvania, theft, delaware county, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 51 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 46 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 39 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth 55 min ago
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
13 min ago