Egg Harbor condo fire leaves dozens homeless
EGG HARBOR TWP., N.J. - April 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Dozens of residents are homeless after a blaze inside an Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey condo building late Wednesday night.
The 2-alarm fire broke out around 11:45 p.m. at the Heather Croft Condominium Complex, located in the 300 block of Heather Croft Road.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames showing in a second floor unit, where they believe the fire started.
Crews were able to knock down the fire just after 12:30 a.m., but then began the frantic search of the building to make sure no one was left inside.
Officials say the building contained 24 units, four of which were destroyed and about 12 others were damaged by water and smoke.
Fire crews credit a fire wall with stopping the flames from spreading to the other half of the building.
One resident told Action News that neighbors heard an explosion before the fire.
"We were there sitting and watching TV and all we heard was like a big bang, boom, and the whole building shook," said Kenneth Cruz.
Another fire victim, staying with his father, may have really lost everything.
Brandon Longstreth lost his apartment in Superstorm Sandy and now he doesn't know if his new home is okay.
"I knew my dad was out and I knew he was fine, but everything that survived the hurricane I brought here, and now its just panic and terror and wondering," said Longstreth.
Dozens of residents have been displaced, but so far, there are no reports of any injuries.
Investigators are trying to determine what sparked the blaze.
fire, atlantic county, new jersey, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 51 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 42 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
51 min ago