Egg Harbor condo fire leaves dozens homeless
EGG HARBOR TWP., N.J. - April 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Dozens of residents are homeless after a blaze inside an Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey condo building late Wednesday night.
The 2-alarm fire broke out around 11:45 p.m. at the Heather Croft Condominium Complex, located in the 300 block of Heather Croft Road.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames showing in a second floor unit, where they believe the fire started.
Crews were able to knock down the fire just after 12:30 a.m., but then began the frantic search of the building to make sure no one was left inside.
Officials say the building contained 24 units, four of which were destroyed and about 12 others were damaged by water and smoke.
Fire crews credit a fire wall with stopping the flames from spreading to the other half of the building.
One resident told Action News that neighbors heard an explosion before the fire.
"We were there sitting and watching TV and all we heard was like a big bang, boom, and the whole building shook," said Kenneth Cruz.
Another fire victim, staying with his father, may have really lost everything.
Brandon Longstreth lost his apartment in Superstorm Sandy and now he doesn't know if his new home is okay.
"I knew my dad was out and I knew he was fine, but everything that survived the hurricane I brought here, and now its just panic and terror and wondering," said Longstreth.
Dozens of residents have been displaced, but so far, there are no reports of any injuries.
Investigators are trying to determine what sparked the blaze.
fire, atlantic county, new jersey, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 6 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
6 min ago
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
6 min ago