Police investigate students' report of gun near school
FELTONVILLE - April 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Lockdowns at three schools in the Feltonville section of Philadelphia have been lifted after students say someone pointed a gun at them.
The lockdowns went into effect shortly after 9:30 a.m. Thursday when four students reported that a woman pointed a rifle at them.
The situation did not happen inside a school. The students say they were behind a row house on the 4600 block of Ella Street.
Chief Inspector Cynthia Dorsey of the Philadelphia Police Department said there was some sort of incident involving the woman's dog, and the children may have been bothering the dog.
That's when, the students told police, the woman pointed the gun at them. The students went into the school and told administrators, who notified police.
However, when police went to the home where the situation allegedly took place, they found no one inside.
As police were standing down, the woman who lives in the house returned home. Later the woman's husband, speaking through family pastor Hector Delgado, said they don't own any guns. Police questioned his wife and cleared her.
"They investigated the situation and found it was not true. His wife, by the way, is a Jehovah's Witness and was out preaching this morning," Delgado said.
Neighbors were also skeptical on hearing the accusations.
"To be frank with you, I don't believe it. I think the kids maybe got a little big excited and, sometimes, kids tend to make things up," neighbor Kelly Phyllian.
Police say they were still interviewing the students and are looking for other witnesses to the incident.
philadelphia, feltonville, guns, school, local/state
- DA's office: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 14 min ago
- Record Warmth! 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Several cars vandalized in South Philadelphia 58 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard 39 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Record Warmth!
1 min ago