Ridley teacher gave beer to students, police say
RIDLEY, Pa. - April 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A teacher at Ridley High School is accused of giving alcohol to two of her students.
Katherine Preusser, 33, was arrested on March 23rd after her car was stopped by state police in Middletown.
Investigators say a 17-year-old boy was at the wheel and a 17-year-old girl was also in the car. Both are students at Ridley High School where Preusser is an English teacher.
Police say they saw two open beers cans in the car and later allegedly found marijuana in the glove box.
No one answer the door at Preusser's home in Philadelphia's Fishtown section on Thursday.
The school district said Preusser has been suspended while they investigate. Superintendent Lee Ann Wentzel released a statement saying, " We were stunned and upset to hear of the allegations. Allegations of this nature fall well below our expectations, but also undermine the trust of the community."
Michele Patricelli's daughter is in Preusser's class.
"I think it's a disgrace, actually. It's a shame because my daughter's a straight-A student and she said she was a good teacher," Patricelli said.
Preusser is in her second year of teaching at Ridley High School. She's facing a laundry list of charges including corruption of minors.
Preusser faces a preliminary hearing next month. She's unlikely to get jail time, but her career may be over. She could be fired by the district pending the results of its internal review.
pennsylvania, delaware county, alcohol, school, local/state
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Autopsy results released in death of Pa. Trooper's wife 17 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber