Rutgers assistant Jimmy Martelli resigns amid scandal
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - April 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Rutgers assistant men's basketball coach has resigned amid a scandal over the way his former boss treated players.
A Rutgers athletic department spokesman confirmed Thursday that assistant coach Jimmy Martelli had left the program.
Coach Mike Rice was fired on Wednesday after a video was made public showing him shoving and kicking players, throwing basketballs at them and berating them with gay slurs.
The firing was first reported by The Star-Ledger. The newspaper also reported that Martelli was seen in a portion of the video that was not broadcast on television shoving a player during a practice.
Martelli, who also coached with Rice at Robert Morris, is the son of St. Joseph's coach Phil Martelli. He was hired by Rutgers in May 2010.
new jersey, rutgers university, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 57 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 38 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ