Motorcyclists killed minutes apart in separate accidents in Parkside
PARKSIDE - April 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say two motorcyclists were killed within minutes of each other in two separate accidents in the Parkside section of Philadelphia.
The first happened just before 7:00 p.m. Thursday in the 4500 block of Girard Avenue near Belmont.
Police say a man in his late twenties was riding a dirt bike west on Girard when he hit the median and lost control.
Medics took him to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he died a short time later.
Seven minutes later and several blocks away, a 27-year-old man was killed when his motorcycle collided with a red Dodge Durango.
Police say the driver of the Dodge was making a left turn from the northbound side of Belmont Avenue onto Parkside Avenue when the accident happened.
The victim was taken the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and pronounced dead a short time later.
Both crashes are under investigation.
philadelphia, accident, motorcycles, local/state
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Up to $50K stolen in Target armed robbery 7 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 33 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Woman's body found in Berks County ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!