Rutgers assistant Jimmy Martelli resigns amid scandal
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - April 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Rutgers assistant men's basketball coach has resigned amid a scandal over the way his former boss treated players.
A Rutgers athletic department spokesman confirmed Thursday that assistant coach Jimmy Martelli had left the program.
Coach Mike Rice was fired on Wednesday after a video was made public showing him shoving and kicking players, throwing basketballs at them and berating them with gay slurs.
The firing was first reported by The Star-Ledger. The newspaper also reported that Martelli was seen in a portion of the video that was not broadcast on television shoving a player during a practice.
Martelli, who also coached with Rice at Robert Morris, is the son of St. Joseph's coach Phil Martelli. He was hired by Rutgers in May 2010.
new jersey, rutgers university, local/state
- 40 homes threatened in NJ forest fire 4 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts 11 min ago
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos