Rutgers assistant Jimmy Martelli resigns amid scandal
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - April 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Rutgers assistant men's basketball coach has resigned amid a scandal over the way his former boss treated players.
A Rutgers athletic department spokesman confirmed Thursday that assistant coach Jimmy Martelli had left the program.
Coach Mike Rice was fired on Wednesday after a video was made public showing him shoving and kicking players, throwing basketballs at them and berating them with gay slurs.
The firing was first reported by The Star-Ledger. The newspaper also reported that Martelli was seen in a portion of the video that was not broadcast on television shoving a player during a practice.
Martelli, who also coached with Rice at Robert Morris, is the son of St. Joseph's coach Phil Martelli. He was hired by Rutgers in May 2010.
new jersey, rutgers university, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy 41 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 8 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 6 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 7 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
41 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate...
37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
25 min ago