Search for missing boater ends, family awaits closure
CAPE MAY POINT, N.J. - April 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- The search for a missing boater off the Delaware Bay is over and now his family and friends can only wait to bring his body home.
24-year-old Josh Cattlet is still missing but Friday there were no boats or planes looking to rescue him.
"I just want them to find him, bring him home to his family," said Greg Helfrich.
"He loved being out on the boat and working out there. He had an anchor tattooed on him," said Shane Berry.
"He was just a really good kid," said Katherine Wood.
Wood's son David was one of the three men on board the Linda Claire on Thursday morning when it went down near Port Norris.
The group was out dredging for conch when the 44 foot commercial boat got caught on something and began taking on water.
"Dave said everything happened so fast they didn't have anything to do but try to get out," said Wood.
"There all kinds of debris down there, big rocks, big boats. Once you get caught up you're stuck," said Helfrich.
"They don't have updated maps out there, they don't know where the snags are," said Berry.
Wood's son David was rescued. He told his mom the three had to kick out a window.
David was the last to get out and was found by other fisherman, hanging from the boat's bowel.
The ship's captain 27-year-old Chris Serra was rescued after spending 25 minutes in the water.
Wood says even though her son made it home, she can't help but think of Cattlet and pray that he makes it home too.
"We're all relieved for David but to know he is still out there is just horrifying," said Wood.
As for the search, the Coast Guard says it has been suspended for now "pending further developments.
new jersey, rescue, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 51 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 2 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 13 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 23 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 10 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 9 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 26 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 1 min ago