Skinned pit bull discovered in Overbrook park
OVERBROOK - April 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating a disturbing discovery in an Overbrook park - a dead pit bull that had been skinned.
The discovery was made Friday at the Royal Gardens near 68th and Oxford Avenue.
SPCA officials removed the body of the slaughtered animal and investigators also found skeletal remains 25 yards away.
The SPCA says that apart from the wounds, the animal seemed to be healthy. Authorities are not sure if the dog was a victim of a fighting ring, a ritual or some other cause.
A necropsy will be conducted to determine the exact cause of death.
This wasn't the first time something like this has happened.
Neighbors say a dog was dumped in the area last fall.
philadelphia, overbrook, animals, animal abuse, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof.
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- South Street area restaurants damaged, burglarized
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)