Skinned pit bull discovered in Overbrook park
OVERBROOK - April 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities are investigating a disturbing discovery in an Overbrook park - a dead pit bull that had been skinned.
The discovery was made Friday at the Royal Gardens near 68th and Oxford Avenue.
SPCA officials removed the body of the slaughtered animal and investigators also found skeletal remains 25 yards away.
The SPCA says that apart from the wounds, the animal seemed to be healthy. Authorities are not sure if the dog was a victim of a fighting ring, a ritual or some other cause.
A necropsy will be conducted to determine the exact cause of death.
This wasn't the first time something like this has happened.
Neighbors say a dog was dumped in the area last fall.
philadelphia, overbrook, animals, animal abuse, local/state
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student death 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 14 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 1 min ago
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 47 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures