Christie still has faith in Rutgers president
TRENTON, N.J. - April 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he still has faith in Rutgers University President Robert Barchi.
But he says basketball coach Mike Rice should have been fired long before a video was aired showing him mistreating players.
Christie answered questions Monday for the first time since Rice was fired and the athletic director resigned.
He says Rice should have been dismissed in November after the university was given a video showing him kicking and shoving players and spewing gay slurs.
He says, "Anybody who saw the video in November should have come to same conclusion."
He says Barchi made a mistake not requesting to see the video himself the end of last year. But he says it was not a firing offense. He says the heads of large institutions need to be able to delegate.
new jersey, rutgers university, gov. chris christie, local/state
- Runway littered with holiday mail 25 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 29 min ago
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 17 min ago
- SEPTA spreads holiday cheer with toy drive 36 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Fmr. Montco GOP chairman to stand trial for rape 19 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ 48 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Warmer Weekend
55 min ago