Christie still has faith in Rutgers president
TRENTON, N.J. - April 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he still has faith in Rutgers University President Robert Barchi.
But he says basketball coach Mike Rice should have been fired long before a video was aired showing him mistreating players.
Christie answered questions Monday for the first time since Rice was fired and the athletic director resigned.
He says Rice should have been dismissed in November after the university was given a video showing him kicking and shoving players and spewing gay slurs.
He says, "Anybody who saw the video in November should have come to same conclusion."
He says Barchi made a mistake not requesting to see the video himself the end of last year. But he says it was not a firing offense. He says the heads of large institutions need to be able to delegate.
new jersey, rutgers university, gov. chris christie, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim 54 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 3 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China 28 min ago
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim
54 min ago