Over $100,000 of heroin seized in New Castle bust
NEW CASTLE, Del. - April 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say a man is in custody after more than 10,000 bags of heroin were found in a hidden compartment inside the vehicle he was operating.
33-year-old Daniel Diaz of Newark, Delaware was arrested Monday and charged with Drug Dealing and Possession of Heroin. According to police, the arrest comes at the end of a month-long drug investigation, during which Diaz was linked to heroin transactions in the New Castle and Newark areas, while allegedly resupplying in Philadelphia and transporting the drugs back to Delaware for sale.
Diaz was operating a 2002 Ford Taurus in the area of Interstate 95 and DE 141 when he was stopped by officers and taken into custody.
When officers searched the vehicle they found what is described as "a sophisticated after market, mechanically operated, hidden compartment" in the rear deck.
Inside the compartment officers found 10,026 individual bags of Heroin, totaling 250.5 grams with a street value of over $100,000. Diaz was also allegedly in possession of over $2,500 cash.
Diaz is now being held on probation and parole administrative warrants as well as $120,000 secured bond.
new castle county, delaware, illegal drugs, local/state
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J. 59 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 54 min ago
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in action 34 min ago
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: Top Holiday Tech Gifts 2013!
- Photos: The Headhouse District's Winter Wonderland
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in...
34 min ago
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in...
59 min ago