14 arrested after large fight in Center City Philadelphia (PHOTOS)
CENTER CITY - April 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A total of 14 people were arrested following a large fight in Center City Philadelphia on Tuesday afternoon.
Of those arrested, 11 are males and 3 are females. Four of those arrested are also over 18 years old.
It appears the group was mostly made up of students. The boys were from Overbrook, Roman Catholic, Bishop McDevitt and Camelot. The girls were from Hallahan, Randolf Technical and Academy at Palumbo.
Police were called to the area of 16th and Chestnut streets at 3:50 p.m.
There, officers reported some 200 people on the street, and some were actively fighting.
Officers called for backup and the situation was declared 'under control' at 4:05 p.m.
However, some members of the crowd - described as teens and young adults - refused to leave.
Chopper 6 HD was over the scene and the Action Cam was on the ground as people were put into police vans.
By about 4:45 p.m., the police vehicles were gone and traffic was moving normally in the area.
While there was no word on what sparked this situation, large crowds and fights are not uncommon in the city in the warm weather.
philadelphia, center city, fight, local/state
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket 5 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ 38 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos