14 arrested after large fight in Center City Philadelphia (PHOTOS)
CENTER CITY - April 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A total of 14 people were arrested following a large fight in Center City Philadelphia on Tuesday afternoon.
Of those arrested, 11 are males and 3 are females. Four of those arrested are also over 18 years old.
It appears the group was mostly made up of students. The boys were from Overbrook, Roman Catholic, Bishop McDevitt and Camelot. The girls were from Hallahan, Randolf Technical and Academy at Palumbo.
Police were called to the area of 16th and Chestnut streets at 3:50 p.m.
There, officers reported some 200 people on the street, and some were actively fighting.
Officers called for backup and the situation was declared 'under control' at 4:05 p.m.
However, some members of the crowd - described as teens and young adults - refused to leave.
Chopper 6 HD was over the scene and the Action Cam was on the ground as people were put into police vans.
By about 4:45 p.m., the police vehicles were gone and traffic was moving normally in the area.
While there was no word on what sparked this situation, large crowds and fights are not uncommon in the city in the warm weather.
philadelphia, center city, fight, local/state
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 20 min ago
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington 40 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA...
20 min ago