Teen girl dies after 8-story fall in Upper Merion
UPPER MERION, Pa. - April 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a teenage girl died overnight after falling from the eighth floor of an apartment building in Upper Merion, Montgomery County.
The incident happened around 6:30 p.m. at the Marquis Apartments in the 200 block of West Dekalb Pike.
According to police, the 14-year-old girl fell from a window in her apartment unit in building C of the complex.
They say she was climbing out the window when she fell and landed on the roof of the apartment parking garage.
Investigators said the girl had been grounded, and was trying to climb down from her window with a makeshift rope composed of shoe laces and electrical cords tied to a heater.
She was taken to Mercy Suburban Hospital for treatment where she was later pronounced dead.
Police are treating this incident as an accident.
pennsylvania, montgomery county, child death, local/state
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!