Child, 3, found locked in car at college campus
NEWARK, Del. - April 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- A father has been arrested and charged with leaving his 3-year-old child locked in a car while he attended class at the University of Delaware.
Rafig Gurbanzada, 32, has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
Police say two passersby were walking in the 100 block of South College Avenue in Newark at 12:53 p.m. Tuesday when they hear a child crying.
That's when they saw the 3-year-old inside a car, crying and banging on the window of the vehicle. Police say the doors were locked and the windows were only cracked open.
One of the passersby was able to unlock the door to let the child out, then called police.
Officers arrived and the father, Gurbanzada, arrived at 1:50 p.m.
According to police, Gurbanzada told them he had left the child locked in the vehicle at 12:15 p.m. while he attended class at the University of Delaware.
This happened while temperatures were climbing into the mid-80s in the region.
The Delaware Division of Family Services was contacted and they arranged the child's release to the mother.
Gurbanzada has been released on $2,000 unsecured bond.
delaware, newark, new castle county, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 47 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 28 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
47 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos