Business owners: Forget Sandy, "LBI is Alive!"
LONG BEACH ISLAND - April 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Business owners in the Jersey shore communities on Long Beach Island say they are competing with the memory of Hurricane Sandy to attract your business.
So, they've gotten together and shot a commercial called "LBI is Alive."
"Our beaches are ready, our life guards are ready, our fishing boats are all ready to go," said Mayor Kirk Larson of Barnegat Light.
A producer shot the commercial for free and local businesses raised more than $50,000 to buy airtime.
"Ocean City and Sea Isle have been doing this for months," said real estate agent Kevin Bergin. "So we just need to make sure everybody knows LBI is open."
Erica Huston is one of those people they're trying to reach. She arrived on LBI expecting the worst.
"I just thought when I was coming over the bridge I'd see flotsam and jetsam and things like that," she said.
LBI did have damage and the southernmost part of the island in Holgate was hit hard. But businesses, rental agencies and residents are eager to let people know that most of the island is just fine and getting ready for summer.
"There are still some homes that are empty and still a lot of work to be done, but definitely there's a lot of momentum and there's just a lot of spirit," said Sally Wright of Ship Bottom.
The commercial begins running Friday on cable TV stations in North Jersey.
new jersey, hurricane sandy, tourism, local/state, nora muchanic
- At least 16 hurt in East Harlem building explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 1 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money 45 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 35 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
17 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
13 min ago