Stray bullet hits man's belt buckle in Grays Ferry shootout
GRAYS FERRY - April 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are investigating a shooting in Philadelphia on Wednesday that left a man critically injured and another man counting his blessings.
The incident happened just before 4:00 p.m. on the 2600 block of Tasker Street in the Grays Ferry section of the city.
According to police, a 24-year-old man was shot in the stomach on the street. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in critical condition.
Police officers on duty nearby heard the gunshots, and while responding to the scene they came across 24-year-old Edward Lyons armed with a gun. Lyons was chased to the 1400 Block of S. Newkirk Street where he was taken into custody.
Lyons is charged with Attempted Murder and Aggravated Assault.
Meanwhile, a stray bullet from that incident went into a store and struck employee, 38-year-old Bienvenido Reynoso.
Police say the bullet lodged in Reynoso's belt buckle, which prevented him from being harmed.
Action News asked Reynoso if he was feeling lucky after his belt buckle saved his life. He says he was "born again" following the harrowing ordeal while working inside the 8 Brother's Supermarket.
He was getting ready to take a hand truck outside when a shootout broke out in the street.
"I went outside and heard the shots and I hit the floor," said Reynoso.
Moments later a pound cake, which was hit by another bullet, fell by his head. Reynoso may have also been hit if he had still been standing.
He did not immediately know that he had been struck.
"I didn't feel nothing... I was checking out my body," added Reynoso.
Shortly thereafter, someone pointed out to him that he had a hole in his shirt and that is when he noticed the bullet stuck to his belt buckle.
Reynoso told Action News that the only thing on his mind was to thank God.
In another remarkable twist of fate during the shootout, the store owner was supposed to be giving out free water ice to kids to kickoff the warm weather season, but he was ten minutes late.
shooting, grays ferry, philadelphia, local/state, dann cuellar
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing plane 10 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 13 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 6 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 8 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
4 min ago
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing...
10 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
8 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
13 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos