Arrest made in stabbing of 7-month-old baby in Germantown
PHILADELPHIA - April 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have made an arrest in the stabbing of a 7-month-old baby inside a Germantown home.
20-year-old Samuel Jones, the child's father, was arrested Saturday.
The incident happened Friday afternoon on the 6200 block of Chew Avenue.
Police say Jones was arguing with the baby's mother when the child was stabbed in the head. "He came running to me and I told him to get in," said Reverend Chester Williams.
Without thinking twice Reverend Williams offered emergency help to a young family in trouble.
"The young man came out the door screaming, 'Somebody help me, baby fell on knife, my son fell on the knife!'" said Rev. Williams.
The reverand lives across the street, heard the panicked screams and ordered immediate action.
"I said 'You stop screaming and breathe into that baby's mouth and hold the towel on that baby's head,'' said Rev. Williams.
Williams says the baby's parents hopped into his car and they called 9-1-1 as they drove to a local hospital.
"The baby was very still, moved very little," said Rev. Williams.
He asked no questions and says he was focused on one thing: "Get to the hospital safe and as fast as I could."
Williams claims the parents were also focused on getting the baby help.
"Nothing else was spoken, no anger toward each other. All on the same track with me, get that baby to safety,' said Rev. Williams.
Action News tried to talk with someone at the home where the stabbing occurred but no one answered the door.
Reverend Williams says he has not heard from the family but both he and his church will keep the baby in their prayers.
"I just want to hear that the baby is okay. I pray young people at any age, before doing something so extreme, talk to somebody," he said.
Meanwhile the boy was transported to St. Christopher's Hospital for Children where he listed in critical condition.
As for Jones, he is being charged with aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and related offenses.
children, stabbing, germantown, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 41 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos