Public hearing underway for 2nd Philly casino
PHILADELPHIA - April 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A second round of public hearings on applications for Philadelphia's second casino license is underway.
The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board is holding the hearings on Thursday and Friday. They began at 9 a.m. Thursday at the Pennsylvania Convention Center and run until 9 p.m. The hearing will continue Friday.
Gaming board officials say all slots for speakers have been reserved and that anyone who hasn't signed up will likely have to wait until a third hearing, May 8.
Six groups are vying for the second casino license slotted for the city under the state's gaming law. The first, Sugarhouse Casino, has been up and running since September 2010.
The state's first casino opened in 2006 and it now has 11 casinos statewide.
philadelphia, casinos, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 26 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 5 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 5 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases