Delaware lawmakers eye same-sex marriage
WILMINGTON, Del. - April 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- State lawmakers are poised to introduce legislation legalizing same-sex marriage in Delaware.
Gov. Jack Markell and Attorney General Beau Biden planned to join lawmakers Thursday in Wilmington to announce the filing of the legislation.
Crafting of the bill has been led by members of the gay rights group Equality Delaware.
Markell has pledged to sign the bill if it passes the General Assembly, where it has the support of Democratic leaders in both chambers.
In 2011, Markell signed a bill authorizing same-sex civil unions in Delaware, effective last year.
Critics of the civil-union legislation warned at the time that it was simply a precursor to same-sex marriage in Delaware, which could soon join nine other states that have legalized gay marriage.
wilmington, delaware, gay marriage, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim 29 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China 3 min ago
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
45 min ago
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim
29 min ago