Fellow doctor testifies against Kermit Gosnell
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - April 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia doctor has testified against a fellow abortion provider charged with killing a patient and seven babies.
Dr. Charles Benjamin says he is one of about four abortion providers left in Philadelphia since Dr. Kermit Gosnell's arrest two years ago.
Benjamin says he has performed 40,000 abortions over a 30-year career. He says he doesn't do them after 21 weeks, or three weeks under the 24-week limit in Pennsylvania.
Gosnell is accused of performing illegal, late-term abortions and running a dangerously outdated clinic staffed by untrained workers.
Benjamin says he performs abortions after 17 weeks gestation in a hospital. That's in contrast to Gosnell, who performed about 1,000 abortions a year at his clinic.
On cross-examination, Benjamin acknowledged that his partner once had an abortion patient die of sepsis.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, dr. kermit gosnell, abortion, local/state
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders 20 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Attack in Washington Square caught on camera 8 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender 19 min ago
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer
- Man critically injured in hit-and-run in SW Philly
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Co-host of HGTV show killed in motorcycle crash
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion