Fellow doctor testifies against Kermit Gosnell
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - April 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Philadelphia doctor has testified against a fellow abortion provider charged with killing a patient and seven babies.
Dr. Charles Benjamin says he is one of about four abortion providers left in Philadelphia since Dr. Kermit Gosnell's arrest two years ago.
Benjamin says he has performed 40,000 abortions over a 30-year career. He says he doesn't do them after 21 weeks, or three weeks under the 24-week limit in Pennsylvania.
Gosnell is accused of performing illegal, late-term abortions and running a dangerously outdated clinic staffed by untrained workers.
Benjamin says he performs abortions after 17 weeks gestation in a hospital. That's in contrast to Gosnell, who performed about 1,000 abortions a year at his clinic.
On cross-examination, Benjamin acknowledged that his partner once had an abortion patient die of sepsis.
philadelphia, west philadelphia, dr. kermit gosnell, abortion, local/state
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 10 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City 49 min ago
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 11 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire 14 min ago
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
58 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
13 min ago